Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Poolish baguette 1


They are ugly, misshapen, flat, and the scores barely show. However, the crust is the best I've ever made at home and the crumb has good flavor! Yayyyy! I feel victory in the fact that even though I made mistakes, they have improved significantly due to my SFBI Artisan 1 class. Thank you Safa and SFBI!

It was soo hot in my apartment when I was making the poolish, about 86 degrees. I also don't really have a freezer, so I couldn't use any ice to cool down the water I used. Not ideal. On top of the fact that the Kitchenaid inherently creates a lot of heat in the dough! Ah!

My poolish on the morning of Day 2

I've really started to learn the importance and nice-ness of having mise en place.

Dough after mixing (to improved mix)

After final shaping into 350 g baguettes. I'm limited by the small depth of my oven, so I think next time it'll be 300 g baguettes.

Wanda from SFBI told me how she boils the water on the stove and then sticks the entire pot into the oven when she bakes. Safa suggested the cast iron pan, and this combination resulted in some really nice carmelization on my better-than-usual crust. I think I've found my technique!

Two of the baguettes, they are so ugly but they tasted very nice!

Some of them had a tighter hole structure like this one:

Others had nice open hole structures like this one:
My lunch tomorrow, with curry chicken salad:

Gifts for friends tomorrow at school (I'm a teacher), in some cute wrapping paper from Target

Great experience, I can't wait to bake another set of baguettes!




No comments:

Post a Comment